Healthcare Challenge – Open Source EHR Apps
With all of the different APIs that are coming out I haven’t seen a medical records company but drchrono that uses OAuth in a production environment and an elegant Restful API. We are also a company that really embraces innovation and would love to see the Open Source community look at what we have created and leverage our EHR to create Open Source healthcare case study apps and production ready apps on top of drchrono. There are many Open Source EHR apps out there, it would be exciting to see how they can work in tandem with what we have built.
For any developers who are interested in building anything healthcare related, we now have a way to do it, simply signup for your drchrono account, then request Restful API access and we will turn the API for you!
Build something Open Source on top of drchrono.
Here are a few interesting things that you could work on leveraging the API
- Medical Pinterest like image viewing on the web of a patients history of images, including features like favorites
- A fun birthday reminder system to tell patients it’s their birthday, e.g. Happy bday from Dr Smith!
- Building out interesting reports on say prescriptions, ages,diabetes, heart issues and so on
- Bed management assignment for hospitals and nursing homes
- An amazing inventory management system for products a doctor sells
- Specialty specific add-ons, for example glasses inventory charting tools for opthamologist
- Build out an OAuth login sample in Java, Ruby or PHP (of course we prefer Python and Django)
- Build a Doximity doctor to drchrono messaging app ( Both of us have APIs ) – this is a tough one!
- Build out a HL7 Argonaut FHIR Standard plugin that is layered on top of the drchrono API
- Uber for healthcare
- Mental health apps
- Nutritionist apps
- Weight management apps
- Health insurance management apps
- Emotions apps, e.g. Paul Ekman facial recongition for recording emotions for therapists, psychology and psychiatry
- Epilepsy tracker app
This is a great way to show us what you can do, put it on your resume, maintain and support if your passionate about healthcare and want to make something amazing. Get it running on your own servers and submit it to GitHub for other developers to help. You can sell support to doctors who want to run and use your software also!
Here are is one example project that is Open Source
- Ruby Gem Omniauth
- github John Nadeau Omniauth
- Ruby Docs Gems Omniauth
A great methodology quote that Linus the creator of Linux once said-
<td align="left" width="65%"> <em>Article by <a title="Daniel Kivatinos" href="https://plus.google.com/+danielkivatinos/posts" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Daniel Kivatinos</a>, COO and cofounder, <a href="https://drchrono.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">drchrono</a></em> Daniel drives direction, brand vision, and business strategy for drchrono. Daniel’s focus has been in the technology space since 2001, as a software engineer and entrepreneur. Daniel holds an M.S. in Computer Science and a B.S. in Computer Science & Psychology from Stony Brook University. </td>